Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love The One You're With

Many years ago I was gifted with a perpetual calendar that has a different quote from Blessed Mother Teresa for each day of the year. On the day my father died, March 24, 2008, the quote was as follows:

"We need each other. Our lives would be empty without each other. How can we love God and His poor if we do not love each other with whom we live."

I did not do as Mother Teresa suggests (at least not very well) with regards to my relationship with my father before he died. As a result he suffered, I suffered, and my witness for the kingdom of God suffered too.

I've never flipped the calendar ahead or back since my father died three years ago today. I see that quote every morning as I prepare breakfast. I now pray often for the grace to have the strength, courage and the wisdom to love those close to me as a way of putting into practice the love I claim to have for God and His poor.

Dear Reader, may you love those with whom you live in such a way that your words and deeds will witness to the love you say you have for God.

~Friar Rex

No comments: